I know that when I finished reading ‘The Hunger Games’ trilogy by Suzanne Collins, I went on an immediate google search on my computer. I had ravished the books and was deeply disappointed when I came to the end of the series. There were many books that were recommended for people who enjoyed the series but only one of which I would recommend so far.
The best book like ‘The Hunger Games’
‘Graceling’ is a book by Kristen Cashore and it is also a YA fantasy novel. I have to let you in on a secret, I am not a YA fantasy novel fan. I never read them when I was younger and I don’t really indulge in them now that I am an adult but this is a book that will appeal to all readers.
It took me a while to read ‘The Hunger Games’ because the premise of the book didn’t excite me; but, upon reading the first few pages I knew I was addicted. ‘Graceling’ is a similar sort of book, even though it started a bit slower.
Kashore has a way with words and built a world of 7 kingdoms that drew me in and left me wanting to know more. The protagonist in ‘Graceling’ is a girl called Katsa, and her name and pluck reminded me of Katniss. However, this book is not a ripoff of ‘The Hunger Games’. It is unique, fun, and interesting and will draw you in. Once you read it, you will eagerly anticipate the ‘Graceling’ sequel just like I am. Kristen Cashore currently has a book called ‘Fire’ out but that is more of a prequel. The ‘Graceling’ sequel will be called ‘Bitterblue’ and is not currently out as yet.
I realize that many people are interested in books like the hunger games and so I decided to add some more books to this list. The novels like ‘The Hunger Games’ that I am listing below are books that I have bought and haven’t finished reading; though I have started reading some.
1. Battle Royale by Koushun Takami- this book is meant to be very similar to ‘The Hunger Games’ but a bit more graphic. This novel is set in Japan and about students who are forced to fight to the death. You can read more about the plot on Amazon.com here.
2. The Maze Runner by James Dashner- this is the first book in the Maze Runner trilogy and people really seem to love this series. It is also set in a dystopian society and the book has been compared to Lord of the Flies and The Hunger Games. You can read more about the plot on Amazon.com here.
3. BirthMarked by Caragh M. O’Brien is another trilogy. This book contains romance and a struggle in a dystopian society. The sort of book that Young Adult readers love. You can read more about the plot here.
4. Matched by Allie Condie. This is a book that I have started reading. It is set in a future society where your love match is decided for you and that is who you will live your regimented life with. However, the heroine of this novel feels like she may have been matched incorrectly. The novel doesn’t have the suspense of ‘The Hunger Games’ but it is still good. Read more about the plot here.
5. Divergent by Veronica Roth. This trilogy is the one that people think is most similar to THG. It contains romance, a struggle in society and a big secret. One you have to read to believe. Read more about the plot here.
These are the best books and novels like ‘The Hunger Games’ that are available today.